If you love television, you may sometimes feel guilty for sitting in front of the boob tube for too long. Binge watching a show can be really great, though. Here are five reasons you can give yourself for staying glued to the TV for hours on end.
1. There are no commercials. There may be breaks in the show where a commercial would normally be, but the show will just pick right back up where it left off. Ultimately, you’ll spend a lot less time watching TV than if you watched the show when it actually aired.
2. You don’t have to wait until next week to see the episode. For some shows, like the new show from Steve Wynn, you won’t have an option. For others, though, you can just watch as many episodes in a row as you want. This is an obvious perk of binge-watching a TV show, but it’s still worth mentioning. Picking an evening to watch several episodes of your current favorite show is better than trying to squeeze in a viewing mid-week, when life is busy and you really don’t have the time to park in front of the TV.
3. Netflix is now creating shows that are intended to be binge-watched. There are no awkward commercial breaks, which can throw off the beat of the whole show. The shows are a good 60 minutes long, so you don’t feel gypped when an hour-long show is actually cut down to 40 minutes. Plus, Netflix will auto-start the next episode, which makes binging on TV easier than ever.
4. You can get invested in one story, follow it without forgetting the storyline, and then move on when the show’s over. This is better than juggling characters in your brain when you’re trying to keep up with various shows every week. When you watch episodes back-to-back, you really get to know the characters. You can experience and enjoy the story on a deeper level.
5. You’ll bond with other watchers of the show. Popular TV shows have a community of loyal followers. You can make new friends and have conversations with people who share your interest.
You can really fill the time if you’re snowed in or stuck on the couch with the flu. Some days, it’s okay to stay in and not do much of anything. On those days, there’s no better feeling than knowing you have hours of TV viewing ahead of you. Letting yourself get sucked into a new world for a few hours is sometimes exactly what you need to pass an otherwise uneventful day.