Ok, I finally got to read the new book of Harry Potter and the Wizarding World saga, this time with the eighth book / theatre play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
As I took J.K. Rowling´s oath, I won´t give away any spoilers on the book or the story, nor will I tell you anything that goes on in the premise of the book beyond what J.K. herself already said.
What is Harry Potter and the Cursed Child about? Book Synopsis
This new story takes place 19 years after the Battle of Hogwarts, at the same point where Deathly Hallows left: when Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione are leaving their kids at Platform 9 3/4 to board the Hogwarts Express to start the first year of Albus Severus Potter, who is worried about what would happen if he ends up in Slytherin. Of course, we will learn what happens then.
New characters of the book Harry Potter and the Cursed Child:
- Albus Potter: Of course, he was introduced in the last pages of Deathly Hallows, but we really get to know him now. He is the second son of Harry and Ginny, and he is the rebellious teenager.
- James Potter: The eldest of Harry and Ginny´s children. He likes to tease Albus.
- Lily Potter: The youngest of the Potters. We barely get to know her.
- Scorpius Malfoy: Draco Malfoy´s only child. Probably the best new character in this one.
- Elfie Diggory: Amos Diggory´s niece, and Cedric Diggory´s cousin. She is in her late teen years and she befriends Albus.
- Rose Weasley-Granger: The daughter of Ron and Hermione. She is not very fond of Scorpius, even though Scorpius really likes her.
- Hugo Weasley-Granger: Same as with Lily, we barely get to see him.
The new setting we were introduced to:
St Oswald´s Home for Old Witched and Wizards. A place were the elderly in the Wizarding World go when they are needed to be taken care of, and a place where they can do magic for fun and not for work.
But of course, for people like me who are fans of the saga from the first story on, I will talk a bit about the old-timers:
We get to see most of those we remember and love (or despised) one way or another: We get to see some form of Dumbledore, Snape, McGonnagall, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Hagrid, Cedric, James, Lily, Voldemort, Bane, Trelawney, Bagshot, Umbridge and many more. And for the most part, it is satisfying. The only one I thought was underwritten in this story is Ron. And the only one I really really wanted to see again (in any form) was Sirius, but he does not appear.
You can watch my video review of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child below, where I go into more detail.
All in all, a great book, and an awesome chance to delve into the Wizarding World once again, after a long time without an original story. I really hope this one is not the last we see of Rowling writing a book about this world. In whatever form: Novel, theatre play, screenplay, or something!
Let me know your thoughts in the comments section.