When you are thinking about possible attractions to take the whole family during a Fort Lauderdale vacation, you can very well take a look at the Museum of Discovery and Science as it is both entertaining and educational.
It is one of the several museums in the area and can make up for a whole day of museums as there are a few within walking distance.
Of course, if you are planning on a relaxing and hitting-the-beach kind of vacation, you may skip it, but it is a good idea to have at hand when you either have a rainy day, you already had too much sun and need some indoors time.
Being in the heart of downtown, it is walking distance from other main attractions such as the NSU Art Museum and just across the street from the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. Two of Fort Lauderdale main cultural attractions.
There are several permanent exhibits on the Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale:
- To Fly: an area devoted to airplanes, which includes flying simulators such as the Air Bus A380, Cessna 172, DC-9, FA-18 Blue Angel, F22 Raptor; a 7D experience and flying artifacts.
- Living in the Everglades: a recreation of Florida´s Everglades ecosystem including animals and plants from the area as well as tons of information on environmental issues.
- Ecodiscovery Center: Different showcases including a family of otters, a virtual airboat ride on the Everglades, a tour on the megafauna from prehistoric Florida, the history of Florida´s water, and a storm center.
- Powerful You: A guide to the human body and its health, focusing on four main aspects; growth and development, heart and its functions, medical teams and their importance, and medical technology.
- Other exhibits: A photography showcase, another for rocks and fossils, among other things.
As every attraction we visit, we take a look at the store, and this one is quite completely focused on science for kids products, as well as some museum merchandise.
We recommend the Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale for:
- Families, especially with kids up to tweens.
- Families who like to add some educational value to vacations.
- People interested in Health, Aviation, or Environment.
- People who just had too much sun and needs to take a break and avoid insolation or sunstrokes; or those who need to find something to do on the occasional rainy day.
Some noteworthy comments about Fort Lauderdale´s Museum of Discovery and Science:
- Location: 401 SW 2nd St, Fort Lauderdale.
- Working Hours: Mondays through Saturdays 10 AM – 5 PM; Sundays 12 PM – 6 PM.
- Prices: There are several offers and discounts and promotions according to the tie you visit; so you should first ask. Regular prices are 16 bucks for adults, 15 for seniors, 12 for kids and toddlers below 2 are free. Some activities are extra: IMAX cinema, 7D experience, and MaxFlight experience.
- Parking: Between the Museum of Discovery and Science and the Broward Center for the Performing Arts you can find the Arts & Science District Garage to leave your car for a fee.
- Visit duration: A couple of hours should suffice.
Let me know in the comments if you enjoyed it.